Goodbye officially to you
I've heard that it's possible to grow up, I've just never met anyone
who's actually done it. Without parents to defy, we break the rules we
make for ourselves. We throw tantrums when things don't go our way. We
whisper secrets with our best friend in the dark. We look for comfort
where we can find it. And we hope against all logic, against all
experience, like children, we never give up hope.
Yesterday was our D&C and we said officially goodbye to our LO. The past few days has been utterly miserable. Knowing that you were carrying a lifeless being inside you just was morbid and mentally painful to think about. I found myself over the past few days hoping against all logic that maybe they were wrong, maybe my baby was just turned the wrong way and hiding it's heart. I hoped that come yesterday that maybe we'd be given the biggest miracle of all, but that hope quickly turned to dispare again.
Physically
I cannot cry any more, my head just feels like exploding when I do. I
know at my grandfathers funeral on Friday it will hit me the hardest
(the symbolism and the real.)
My IL's brought me a bunch of
flowers which included roses. I'm going to take one of the roses and
throw it in the ground with my grandfathers ashes. The rose will be for
baby since we can't bury him/ her and another one for him. For now I'm
feeling like I can move slightly forward, but am not looking forward to
Friday. We've just suffered so much loss this year it makes me feel like
it's all a dream.
We spoke with the RE. He came in and gave me a big big
hug and told me we'd get there, he was very kind and gentle with regards
to everything. They put me under IV sedation since I react poorly to
gas by getting really sick. Worked like a charm. They allowed Paul in
the room with me while he held my hand and we passed sorrow filled
glances... it was really happening. The Dr did an U/S and at first I
just couldn't look. When I did it made it very real not seeing that hb
again. Paul kissed my forehead and he was ushered out after I went to
sleep. He was there when I woke up, perhaps the most comforting sight when I feel asleep and when I woke up.
When I woke up or was
starting to I heard the nurse saying she couldn't find documentation
about our other losses. (I was pissed I think) Paul said I quickly
explained everything in a very factual way. "1 with my obgyn in Jan, 3
with you guys - July, September and November. All 3 of those pregnancies
were documented by you guys on my patient portal via blood draws and 3
letters from you saying you were sorry for our pregnancy loss. AND why
would I be on the RPL protocol for this pregnancy?" In any case I'm going
to address this at our meeting with the NP in 2 weeks. I am going to
bring up the lack of documentation or at least consistency. I had to ask
if they wanted to do another round of intralipids. This should have
been asked at my 6 week appointment by them not by me at my 8 week
appointment. I do not know if that would have helped but I feel that
they should have kept that well documented and in their protocol. I love
my RE's office completely but I do find in that regard organization is lacking,
something I need them to understand CANNOT happen next time.
The Dr said we'll go over the pathology report if there was no genetic
problems we will do a bunch of other testing on me with regards to
immune problems etc. He said he didn't want to do it at first because of
the cost. I let him know I will pay whatever we need to, go into
whatever debt we need to, to find answers. If we continue this path with
no real concrete answers besides PCOS then we will be throwing away
more money and experiencing more and more pain with every passing
cycle/pregnancy. I 'm a fact girl and I need my facts/answers. I asked
him what his recommendation was for when our next steps would be. He
said as soon as my levels were to 0 we could do another round. We
anticipate possibly diving back in maybe mid Jan / Feb. I don't really
know when I'll be ready and maybe I'll be ready sooner then I realize.
But I want to give myself a chance to heal.
I want to give
myself one time in 3 1/2 years where OPK's, temping, drugs don't matter.
I want to devote time to myself, my pets and more importantly my
husband and marriage. I want to learn to be happier and it won't happen
over night. I need to learn to be fulfilled with the life I currently
have. I want to really put my best foot forward with my weight. I say
that with every loss but when we get back from Thanksgiving I'm going 5
times a week and am running/swimming my tush off. It's time I stop
letting PCOS be my excuse and it's time I stop letting it hold me back
the way I have both when I didn't know and when I did.
Overall
the D&C wasn't painful at all. I had mild mild cramping after,
didn't come close to my normal period pains. Right now it's just a
mental recovery. But as I said today I feel at a bit of peace. I'm doing
a ton of housework and am getting the house ready for Christmas. I need
some cheer in our lives right now and Christmas is a start.
Paul and I are thinking of getting away again, this time local to a log
cabin resort and ski. I think now that my healing is starting this has
hit Paul harder then it did at first. So I want to be there for him. I
want us to be there for eachother. Which we have been but I just don't
want him hurting in silence. We received 3 beautiful bouquets of
flowers. now I have to figure out where to place them. I'm using today
for a leisurely clean of our house, reformatting my computer and
knitting a lap afghan. which may be done by tomorrow after our
trip. Tomorrow I will be going into work for a half day then heading to
my parents for the funeral and for some much needed parent time.
I want to thank you guys for your thoughts, messages, well wishes and
prayers. While I do not in the least believe in god, I know my husband
does and he appreciates those prayers more then I can ever say. It's a
very selfless thing to do and we both appreciate the thought/sentiment.
2 comments:
I cried just reading this. I am so terribly hurt for you and Paul. While D&C is not a pleasant experience to go through, I am quite grateful that it is not exceedingly painful for you, and that you are getting through it with strength. To not get excited at seeing/hearing HB does not make you any less of a person or a mother. This is absolutely understandable to be cautious until you hold the baby in your arms. I find it commendable of you to establish goals to help you get through the pain. The pain will never go away even though it will lessen over the time, and each of your babies will always be very important to you. Your idea of burying rose with your grandfather is a beautiful way to bless and say good-bye to your little one. Your grandfather would have loved the sentiment as well. Yes, do take that time away with Paul and cherish each other.
XXXXX Thinking of you and Paul.
<3 you're such a sweetheart.
It is going to be extremely hard to be positive during our next pregnancy. I know before some people would get annoyed at my worrying but honestly at this point it won't be for nothing. We'll see how it goes but I know how I react and I just know that nothing is a given and anything can happen at any time <3
Post a Comment