Thursday, March 15, 2012

Be Honest with yourself and your emotions

have you or someone you know been trying for a child for a while?

Do you get upset or get very depressed when those who you love and care for get the one thing you've been yearning for?

From what I've gathered this is very normal. The very first time I felt this way, I was a bit shocked and mildly appaled at my 'reaction' (after I hung up the phone of course). Tears started flowing and I was sobbing uncontrolably. How could I sit there and cry after hearing something that is so joyful. How could I be so selfish to put my life problems and make it about me?

Truth is I wasn't, it was really hard to deal with those emotions. They have become easier to deal with after being honest and open with myself. I litterally had to ask myself "Why are you so upset? What about this situation makes you upset?" I came to the conclusion it had nothing to do with the happiness I had for those I loved. It did have to do with how it was a reminder for me. It reminded me of the failures we've had with TTC. It made me feel like less of a women, it made me feel abnormal and on the inside it made me feel ugly. I fought for a few years with this. I have even been made to feel like my feelings on the matter aren't good and that I should get over it, which was making me look bad. That I should just be happy for people. As easy as it sounds, boy is that a complex situation all together.

I'll tell you all who are suffering with this what worked for me. Do I still cry? Yes. Does it still hurt? Yes. As of now I have not found a way for it not to hurt in one way or another. What I have found is ways to deal with it and accept things for how they are. I have also come to realize that some pregnant women do sometimes take our reactions to heart. So I always always try to explain my emotions and respectfully ask for a little time to 'grieve'. For me that's what happens every time, is I need to grieve for our situation. Consider it a pity party that I feel in the long run helps keep you human.

When I find out a friend is pregnant I congratulate them and show happiness for them, even though my heart breaks I'm not going to let it break while they reveal their news. A

fter the conversation I will let things be. I pull away for a few months, at this time I really don't want to hear how things are progressing, or to really hear about how hard pregnancy is on you. Lets be honest if you've lost a baby or have been trying so long, you get to a point where you feel like "Gosh I wish I had that problem." So to alleviate my disinterest and possible hurting of my friends because of my 'reactions' to their vents, I distance myself. Sometimes this can happen without verbal notice. Most of the time I'll sit down and chat with them. Above all I don't want to hurt them, but I also want to take the time to tend to my self and my emotions, if I don't it could get worse. So about a month after they've revieled and the initial "Congrats" has worn off, I'll then explain things. I have been so blessed to have 100% understanding and supportive friends. So this talk hasn't been long nor did they ever leave thinking I was being selfish. Or so I think and hope. I let them know just my raw feelings. I'm honest with them and let them know it's not them, rather how it reflects on our situation. It makes everything a bit more real. I also let them know that I want them to have my genuine love and support. So that in a few months when I ask how things are going, it's to show you "Hey I'm ready to help you out and be there." Pregnant ladies please please try to understand what it's like to see someone with something you've been wanting. Yes it's a bit of jealousy, but a lot of it is a very painful realization every time someone says they're having a child. To have that happen over and over again, the heartache is truly hard to explain. I promise if you respect our request for space and time, you won't regret it.

You may also find yourself needing time shortly after you see the baby for the first time. Realize it's ok. You just need time to adjust to things. It's all about adjusting phases in life and slowly becoming ok with things. That's OK!

So through all of my ramblings, I guess my summary is that it's ok to feel that way. Don't ever however make the grieving poisionis. Nothing is worse then to say "So and so isn't ready, she doesn't deserve a baby. She's not married, has no money." We should never stoop that low in our time of pain. That's where you'll probably make it harder for yourself to 'heal' and possibly make yourself very very bitter about anything pregnancy related. I did that in the beginnings of this process and it didn't help me. I mean who was I to sincerely judge if a person should have the opportunity to be a mother? Why was I letting my hatred get the best of me like that?


It's ok to realize that the hurt comes from a place of sincerity. That you're hurting, that you feel like you're letting your husband down. Or that there's something wrong with you. For me it just makes me feel like less of a women because I can't do what seems to come very easily for others. Since our loss this feeling has amplified a bit. But since being 'honest' with my emotions and reactions overall things have gone smoother. It doesn't leave me feeling hatred, just saddened. I will say it has helped me get to a point of 'peace' quicker.

I wish all of you so much love and peace in your hearts. I hope that one day you will all have what it is you've been longing for.

No comments: