We had our first OB appointment yesterday. Man was it a different atmosphere then what I'm used to . At the RE it's all business and in and out. The OB was amazing went over things that even my NP didn't go over :/. Apparently my RE's office sent over my med schedule with suggested stop times. He likes a lot of them, but does not agree with the Lovenox. I guess on the sheet he got it said 24 weeks. He wants me on it until 36 weeks then we'd switch to Hepirn. Which is what i thought my RE told me would happen all along ::), I completely agreed with my OB. When you deal with an RE's office at least with us you rarely if ever see an actual doctor, it's mostly Nurse practitioners so nothing was ever fully explained to me. He did tell me I need to make sure I'm getting enough Calcium with the Lovenox, new news to me.
So we went in and he did a pap then we tried for an abdominal U/S and it worked baby is just below my belly button according to him. almost smack dab in the middle when I looked at where he had the wand. We got to see baby and a very strong fast heartbeat. He didn't measure how fast when I asked he giggled when I asked how fast it was ;) He knew where I was going with that LMAO (for those who don't know some like to speculate that you can tell what the sex is by how fast the heartbeat is). Damn, caught red handed. I will see the two other OB's in the practice just as a smart plan in case my primary choice isn't available the day of delivery. Baby again was doing really well measuring 2 days ahead of where we were. We actually got to see a little hand and it looked like (s)he was waving at us.
Then on the way home I had an emotional moment where It dawned on me that this doc could possibly be the one helping us deliver our baby in just under 7 months. That my husband will finally be a father. So I cried as it was just this euphoric feeling seeing Paul there. I get shivers thinking about it now. We discussed our birth plan. I told him I'm keeping all options open. If i need drugs I'm not against them, if I'm able to breast feed I will if I can't then I can't. My reason for being so relaxed about a birth plan is because I've seen so many Moms to be have a big plan and if the plans don't go well some are notably upset. And with just cause because when you have a vision you like to see it executed a little how you saw it. For me I just want baby here and I want it to be as safe for me and baby as possible. WIth breast feeding again we will try and I will put in a very solid effort. But I will be ok with things if it's just not in the cards for us, for whatever reason. Our OB really liked that mindset and appreciated the open mindedness. Shit just got real today for some reason, I can say with confidence this will be our THB, and wow does that ever feel amazing to say!
New questions started flooding my mind and I asked about hospitals as we do have a choice between 2 hospitals which our OB's deliver at. I was given this bit of advice from an expectant mother and maternity/nicu ward nurse.
This was her full advice:
Many people pick hospital first, but I think picking dr first is often best. Neither is wrong, and you have an ob you love, so you're set. I would tour both hospitals, find out their layout and setup. Find out if the babies primarily room in or spend a good bit of time in the nursery. Find out if baby has to be admitted in the nursery or if they are admitted in mom's room. Find out if the nursing staff has separate mother and baby nurses or if the same nurse takes care of both. Figure out how they admit c-sections, just in case. No setup or nursing assignments are wrong, just different. Find out how many lactation consultants they have on staff and if they are available on nights and weekends. Many hospitals only have LCs mon-fri/sat from 8-4 or so, and it can be hard for moms to get help if they deliver at night (depending on the skill and comfort levels of the nursing staff).
No comments:
Post a Comment