Monday, January 28, 2013

Following your passions

TTC stuff aside. It has been very hard to over the past year get into a routine that allowed me to work full time while continuing with things that were a passion of mine. In truth I've been afraid of just over working myself and not deliver on time. With that I slowly started taking on photography clients, doing newborns for people at work, weddings that were more or less last minute (because of treatments it's so hard to know a year out just what life has in store for us)




So with getting my feet wet I'm realizing that so long as I make the time I'll have the time. My problem has always been. MODERATION (there's that word again ;) ) . Normally I say yes to everyone and every project that I neglect to give myself a breather. So I'm dipping my feet back into the invitation world where I mainly made program fans. Suffice to say I've been shocked at having my shop open for no more then a week and already I have orders to fill. I don't do it for the money I do it because I know how much people loved my work, and I in a way felt guilty that other brides couldn't get the same stress free experience if they went with someone less experienced with this kind of work. I love customer service and there's something to be said about working for yourself and building a business from the ground up. I do get worried that I'll over work myself but I now have a system where I speak it over with Paul and get his complete input on if I should pursue a client or not. Thing is now that I'm working I don't have the luxury I did before with just working away during the day on the fans. So I've set things up so I can work slow but steady. With most orderings needing a 2 month turn over. Which is ok because most brides contact me with more then enough time.

I'm happy and nervous to get back to where I was before I took on my current job. I know any extra money we get right now will also go towards our debt helping us climb out of it faster.

I'm proud of myself for just sucking it up and saying 'yes' to projects again. I love being able to be apart of someones very very special day be it in taking photos or giving them these program fans that their guests often rave about. This is not me being cocky but I take pride in my work and I work hard to get the results I do.

So I guess yay me for taking that step. Sorry for the shameless bragging.

If you'd like to ever check out my work feel free to do so at

Photography: www.barnhartphotography.net

2 comments:

K said...

Your work is beautiful!! The programs and the photography!!

Unknown said...

You do wonderful work Amanda, good luck with everything! :)

Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Liebster Award!

Feel free to check out my blog post on it here! http://passthecinnamon.blogspot.ca/2013/01/the-liebster-award.html