Monday, May 26, 2014

Faces of Infertility and Loss - Ashley's Letter

Dear women, and men facing infertility,

I am sorry.

Not that I am feeling sorry for you. But for not truly understanding your pain all of this time.

I am sorry for all those times when I may have made unintentional insensitive remarks without realizing that those words I uttered cut through your heart. I was ignorant about the pain of dealing with infertility.

I am sorry for not approaching you to inform you that my husband and I were trying for our son, and dropping the bombshell on you that we were pregnant out the blue. AT that time, I thought I was protecting you from the pain of trying to conceive, and did what I thought was right for you. What I did not realize is that I have put you on a spot, and forced you to relieve the pain of being childless.

I am sorry for all those times that I have come across as ‘in your face’ with pregnancy ailments, and complaints. I now understand you would give anything to experience, even the downside part, of a pregnancy.

I am sorry for all the baby milestone announcements. I did not realize that for those women and men who have lost their babies that hurt to be constantly reminded of not having a baby in their arms in the end.

It is not until the second time around of trying to conceive that I finally understood.

Swells of hope only to be dashed within the seconds when you learn that this is not your month.

Constantly temping to pinpoint whether you are ovulating or not.

Peeing on OPKs (ovulation prediction kit), and anxiously waiting for the green light to go ahead to do the deed.

Doctor visits.

Blood tests to be sent off, and analyzed while you are in the limbo, wondering if there is something wrong with you, and whether it is a quick fix or not.

Not getting a conclusive answer from the tests and going back to square one of wondering what is going on.

A frozen smile on your face when your friend announces to you that she is expecting; you feel as if you are a contradiction yourself, because you want so badly to be happy for your friend, yet your heart is breaking, because you desperately want that baby for yourself.

Suddenly, sex life becomes scheduled.

Facebook becomes your enemy, because you see nothing, but pregnancy announcements, and baby arrival announcements.

Dealing with all the unsolicited advice, well intentioned remarks that only makes you feel worse, and having to fend for yourself against unspoken questions why you are yet pregnant.

Getting a big fat positive on a pregnancy test, and only to lose that within a few days.

Feeling as if you are sitting on the sideline bleachers, and wondering when will it ever be my turn?

Yes, I am sincerely sorry for not truly understanding. 

It is difficult to be dealing with infertility, miscarriages, and infant loss in seemingly apathetic world. It is why it is critical for the awareness surrounding the topics with infertility to be brought up, discussed, and shared.

Instead of throwing unsolicited advice at someone dealing with infertility, please do open your arms, and say, I am here for you.

No comments: